Wednesday 8 January 2014

Let's Get Writing ...!

I got a brilliant email the other day (actually, I got two but I'll talk about the other one later).  It was from my contact at the library.  I have now got the go-ahead to re-launch the Young Writers!  I am having a meeting this Saturday morning to finalise some dates.  I would love to start it this month but I am going to suggest February so I have plenty of time to get The Word Out.  I need to contact all the former members, get some flyers out, put some notices up and - if I can - get some letters out to the most local schools.  I also want to get The Advertiser and Guardian (the local Guardian, not the national one) back on board but I will have to tread carefully.  It might need to go through the library's own press office.  I do not want to be stepping on any toes, especially since the library will not be charging me anything to take the place over two hours a month!  You know, I think I must be one of the luckiest people in the world!  And here's a little secret.  It isn't the first time I've done it either.  When I was in my late teens I decided that what my then local area needed more than anything in the world was a drama group for children and teenagers.  There were lots of drama groups about, but most of them were for much more - shall we say - mature people.  There were a few youth clubs about (anyone anywhere remember Centre 21 in Cheam?) - but there were a lot more bored kids running around; bored kids who loved taking part in school shows.  I joined a local social committee and within a few months - with a lot of help from my committee mentors and my family - Ace of Spades Drama Group was born.  We did six or seven shows over the next three or so years; all with members aged from 11 to around 17 (and were later joined by Jack of Spades which catered for younger kids).  Maybe I will tell you the whole story one day, who knows?  The point I was making - and this very important - is that anyone can achieve anything if they have faith in themselves and their abilities.  You just have to believe.  Anyway keep an eye on this blog (and the Young Writers one) and I will keep you updated.

As for the other email - well, here's a little mystery.  I somehow stumbled upon the website of a new publishing company I had never heard of before.  This must have been last Thursday or Friday.  I read through it, liked what I saw, and sent them a brief enquiry about The Book (yep - just realised that the other day I gave its actual title so the cat is out of the bag).  And Guess What?  They have asked for a synopsis and some sample chapters.  Yes!  Yes! They really have!  Yet this time last week, I had never heard of them so how did that happen?  I will probably organise that tomorrow night.

And now, my invisible and silent friends, I have to go.  I am desperate to start sorting out my poems and making my lovely spacious study look less like a parcel depot full of sundry boxes.

Good Writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment